Until further notice all consultation services are being provided by video conferencing due to COVID-19 physical distancing requirements.
EMDR Consultation Groups for Fall 2020
Do you ever:
- wish you could use EMDR Therapy with more of your current clients?
- want to increase your technical skills in EMDR’s multiple applications?
- long to increase your confidence when doing EMDR?
- want to talk about your challenges with others using EMDR Therapy?
EMDR Group Consultation can help you accomplish each of these. There will be eight different EMDR consultation groups via video conferencing, so your location does not matter. All you need is access to a reliable internet connection that will support a video conference platforms.
The new EMDRIA Consultation Packet (2020) has been released. There are changes in how Individual Consultation Hours for Certification are obtained. The changes took effect Jan. 1, 2020. Now Individual Consultation hours can only be accumulated when 1, 2 or 3 consultees are meeting with an Approved Consultant.
Given the new rules, I am offering “small groups” for accumulating “individual consultation hours” on a pro-rated basis. For example, if a group of 3 consultees meet for 2 hours, everybody will receive 0.66 hr of individual consultation + 1.33 hr of group consultation.
= = = = = = =
New Adapting Your Skills to Virtual EMDR New
Monday 6-8 pm E.T. - small group (max. 3) for individual hrs towards Certification
As long as COVID restrictions continue EMDR Therapists need to decide whether to adapt their clinical skills to doing EMDR online or, by default, to stop offering their most effect therapeutic tool.
This series of four 2-hour consultation sessions will focus on using EMDR online. Pre-requisites are:
- you are committed to quickly starting to (or already) doing Virtual EMDR;
- read/watch information about adapting current skills to doing Virtual EMDR.
Immediately upon completing registration participants will receive materials for adapting their clinical skills to Virtual EMDR. You need to become familiar with this material outside the group because the information will not be “taught” during consultations. The focus of this consultation groups is your cases/questions/issues while doing Virtual EMDR.
The 8 hours spent in the Virtual EMDR consultation series will be eligible for pro-rated “individual hours” towards the designation EMDRIA Certified in EMDR.
= = = = = = = = =
This is the schedule for the various groups. The meeting times are shown in Eastern Time Zone. If you need assistance to convert to your time zone click here .
- Mondays, 9-11 a.m. ET – small group (max 3) for individual hours for Certification FULL
- Mondays, 1-3 p.m. ET - focus on Virtual EMDR (max 3) small group for individual hours for Certification FULL
- Mondays, 3-5 p.m. ET – small group (max 3) for individual hours for Certification Cancelled
- Monday dates are: Sept 14, Oct 5, Nov 9, & Dec 7
- Wednesdays, 9-11 a.m. ET - large group (6 max) for group hours for Certification 2 spaces
- Wednesdays, 12-2 p.m. ET – Consultants-in-Training group, 4 max. [6 sessions spread over 12 months] FULL
- Wednesdays, 3:30-5:30 p.m. ET – large group (6 max) for group hrs for Certification Cancelled
- Wednesday 9 a.m. & 3:30 p.m. dates are: Sept 9, Oct 14, Nov 11 & Dec 9
- Wednesday 12 p.m. CIT group dates are: Sept 9, Oct 14 & Nov 11
- Fridays 9-11 a.m. ET – large group (6 max) for group hours for Certification 1 space
- Fridays 12-2 p.m. ET – large group (6 max) for group hours for Certification 2 spaces
- Friday dates are: Sept 11, Oct 9, Nov 13 & Dec 11
- One-to-one monthly consultation at a time mutually agreed upon with Jim
Prerequisites for participating in Consultation Groups are completion of EMDRIA-approved Basic Training and having an active clinical caseload in which you are using EMDR. All these hours are eligible towards the EMDRIA Certified in EMDR credential.
Prerequisites for participating in the Consultant in Training (CIT) Group are being EMDRIA Certified in EMDR and having at least 1 EMDR consultee. All these hours are eligible for the Approved Consultant in EMDR credential.
How hourly price for consultations are calculated
The price for consultation is calculated based on your “standard clinical rate” which is defined as the hourly fee you charge, before discounts. Consultees who work ONLY in community based non-profits are offered a reduced consultation fee.
For consultees who are in private practice, sub-contractors, & similar, I use a sliding scale in recognition that fees in our sector vary widely. If your standard clinical rate falls within the range of $120 - $180, the fee I charge will be calculated based on that rate.
How I determine “base consultation rate”:
13% HST is applied to all consultation fees
Consultation Rates for (exclusively) Non-profit Staff
use $100/hr as “base consultation rate”
Consultation for EMDRIA Individual Hours
one-to-one > base consultation rate X 1.0
small group (max. 3) > base consultation rate X 0.5
Consultation for EMDRIA Group Hours
large group (6 max.) > base consultation rate X 0.33
Consultants in Training Group
Consultants in Training Group (max. 4) > base consultation rate X 0.5
Virtual EMDR-focused Group
small group (max. 3) > base consultation rate X 0.5
Calculating the total cost of your consultation series is done automatically at the bottom of the Registration Form based on information you provide.
The formula used for calculating your cost for Consultation Series is:
$_______ X ____ + $___.__ = $_____.___
cost/hr # of hrs 13% HST TOTAL COST
Payment is due Aug 31, 2020.
E-transfer to JimLichti@gmail.com is the preferred payment method. Cheques are an alternative, mailed to:
651 Columbia Forest Blvd.
Waterloo ON N2V 2K7
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
About EMDR Consultation
EMDR Consultation is a professional development activity for clinicians who have completed an EMDRIA-approved Basic Training in EMDR (eye movement desensitization & reprocessing).
The purposes of EMDR Consultation are:
- to hasten development of conceptual and technical skills in EMDR’s multiple applications
- to learn how to incorporate EMDR into your existing clinical practice
- to increase your confidence in using EMDR
- to complete the 10 hours consultation required for EMDR Training
- to qualify to become EMDRIA Certified in EMDR
- to qualify to become an EMDRIA Approved Consultant
- to keep current with clinical developments in this rapidly evolving specialty
EMDR consultation can be done individually or in small groups. The consultee(s) determine the agenda based on questions/issues arising from their clinical cases. Typical agenda items include:
- discussing clinical challenges
- integrating EMDR into treatment plans
- determining client readiness
- conceptualizing the set-up for EMDR sessions
- problem solving ineffective sessions
- identifying red flags with clients
- identifying sources of further information and skill development
- exploring emerging concepts and applications in EMDR practice
Currently I provide EMDR consultation via:
- face-to-face meetings or video conferencing with individuals
- face-to-face meetings or video conferencing with groups.
About the Consultant
Jim Lichti, MSW, RSW, EMDRIA Approved Consultant was one of the first Canadians trained in EMDR in 1993. Since then he has conducted thousands of EMDR treatment sessions. He began offering EMDR consultation in 1996. He is EMDRIA Certified in EMDR and an EMDRIA Approved Consultant.
Jim was a Facilitator with the EMDR Institute Inc. (1996-2003) and a Facilitator with Niagara Trauma & Stress Clinic (2003-18). He was a founding Board member of EMDR Canada from 1995-2004 and continues to serve as the Chair of their Professional Affairs Committee. Jim also served on the Membership Committee of the EMDR International Association from 2006-17. He is also a sponsor of EMDR advanced clinical workshops.
Expanding the role of EMDR Therapy in more of your clinical cases is a goal of consultation. Jim conducted original research on current practices in EMDR consultation for which he was awarded the 2005 EMDR Canada Research Award. He has presented on this topic six times at the EMDR International Association conference and the EMDR Canada conference as part of his commitment to raising the quality of EMDR treatment provided by psychotherapists.
Jim belongs to the Ontario College of Social Workers & Social Service Workers and the Ontario Association of Social Workers. He was a Clinical Fellow of the American Association for Marriage & Family Therapy and belonged to the Ontario Association for Marriage & Family Therapy and the Canadian Association for Marriage and Family Therapy from 1984-2017. Jim was an Associate Practicum Professor – Part-time, Faculty of Social Work, Wilfrid Laurier University from 1984-2016. During that time he was the Practicum Supervisor for 25 Masters students from WLU, University of Toronto and University of Waterloo.
Jim was employed full time in the mental health field for 40+ years. He now works part-time, including an extensive consultation practice. Clinically, Jim specializes in working with trauma, particularly with survivors of abuse and neglect and with motor vehicle accident injuries. He has extensive experience working on multidisciplinary teams in both Children's Mental Health Centres and Community Health Centres.